DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 3:29:24 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hi There!
I need a little help with finding the the ICD-10 codes to bill a patients medical before sending it to Dental Ins. can you help me with

D7250-Surgical removal of residual tooth roots

D7953-Bonegrafts

The Medical Insurance Rep I spoke to told me that these codes should be fine for a medical claim but now I need the ICD-10 codes

courtneydsnow
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2021 8:07:03 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Guest!

To determine the proper diagnosis code(s), it all depends on why the patient is receiving the services. Some common diagnosis codes used when bone grafts are being performed are:

K08.21 - Minimal atrophy of the mandible
K08.22 - Moderate atrophy of the mandible
K08.23 - Severe atrophy of the mandible
K08.24 - Minimal atrophy of maxilla
K08.25 - Moderate atrophy of the maxilla
K08.26 - Severe atrophy of the maxilla

However, if they are being performed due to a traumatic accident, a tumor removal, or a different reason - there are separate codes for that. If you'd like to provide additional details about the patient's condition/symptoms, I am happy to offer you some coding options.

Hope this helps!
m1z
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2021 4:42:36 PM(UTC)
m1z

Hi Courtney,

I am finally getting back to you on the ICD-10 Code necessary to send all of this periodontal work to my medical insurer.

This whole thing occurred due to a fractured tooth. It was not traumatic. It was from clenching. I believe you indicated in another post that the code for that would be K03.81.

My question around this is will this K03.81 code be used throughout the entire treatment case or are there different codes that have to be used along the way? I am hoping it is just the one code I need, since the diagnosis remains the same throughout.

I tried to post this separately, but the system said my question was already asked.

Again, thank you so much for your help!
courtneydsnow
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2021 2:37:06 PM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi m1z!

Great research, you got it! K03.81 stands for cracked tooth, so that sounds like it fits the bill for your case since it wasn't trauma related.

And great question, yes typically the diagnosis code(s) will remain the same throughout the treatment! Of course depending on the case and what all happens, they *can* change, but only if new symptoms/conditions/disease present themselves would that happen.

Hope this helps!
 1 user thanked courtneydsnow for this useful post.
m1z on 8/20/2021(UTC)
m1z
#5 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 1:52:10 PM(UTC)
m1z

Thank you Courtney!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply