DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 9:45:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hello,
Can you please tell me what the equivalent medical code for this dental code, D 4277, would be?
Thank you,
Jo
courtneydsnow
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2015 11:56:17 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Jo!

D4277 = free soft tissue graft procedure (including donor site surgery), first tooth or edentulous tooth position in graft

There is not a specific CPT code that represent this procedure, so you can either file D4277 on the medical claim, or if the BCBS you are filing to does not process "D" codes (many medical insurers do process "D" codes these days), you can use a miscellaneous CPT code and include a narrative report to describe the procedure, such as:

41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures

Hope this helps!
#3 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2015 1:41:00 PM(UTC)

Trying to get a splint for TMI but medical insurance won't do without icd10 codes. Dental gave me d0367 and d7899 can u convert to icd10 codes so I can get this covered by insurance.
courtneydsnow
#4 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2015 1:46:03 PM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Hi Guest!

No problem. First, only ICD diagnosis codes changed with ICD-10, procedural codes did not change (CPT/HCPCS codes).

So, what we are finding is that the code that is most commonly accepted by medical insurers currently for TMD appliances since the S8262 discontinuation (which is the code that was commonly used for TMD appliances for several years, but was discontinued as of June of this year) is D7880. However, some insurers are accepting D7899, or E1399.

D7880 - occlusal orthotic device, by report
D7899 - unspecified TMD therapy, by report
Or, if the medical insurer says they won’t process the “D” codes (most will these days, but you will run into a few that won’t), you can try:
E1399 - Durable medical equipment, miscellaneous

A narrative report accompanying the claim is recommended since they are all "by report" or "miscellaneous" codes.

You can also check the insurers TMD medical policy on their website, and many of them will list accepted codes right in their policies. For example, here is a link to BCBS of MS's TMD medical policy that lists the currently accepted code as D7880 for TMD appliances in the coding section of the policy:
http://www.bcbsms.com/com/bcbsms/apps/PolicySearch/views/ViewPolicy.php?&noprint=yes&path=/policy/emed/Temporomandibular_Joint.html

Now, as for the ICD-10 diagnosis codes for temporomandibular disorders, they are as follows:

M26.61 - Adhesions and ankylosis of temporomandibular joint
M26.62 - Arthralgia of temporomandibular joint
M26.63 - Articular disc disorder of temporomandibular joint
M26.69 - Other specified disorders of temporomandibular joint

Hope this helps, have a great day!
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 1:57:31 PM(UTC)

Thank you Jo, I have both D4277 and D4278 codes on my dental bill for a gum graphing procedure I had done which was medically necessary and they are saying the surgery was due to medical condition because I have spinal disease which has created TMJ Dysfunction which has now lead to severe recession in my gums from my grinding and clenching. so my Blue Cross PPO needs the medical code for my situation in order to review and decide if they will pay for the surgery. I am trying to figure out how to go about this. I down loaded the form but I have to figure out the most appropriate medical code. My dentist/surgeon does not do anything with medical codes so they are of no help and my dental plan will not cover it even though the surgeon wrote a letter stating it was medically necessary.
Also I frequently see a chiropractor for my corrective spinal adjustments on my entire spine because of my disease and I have been wearing a night gaurd in my mouth for many years to help prevent this problem to begin with because of my clenching and grinding.

courtneydsnow
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2017 2:20:22 PM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Hi guest!

D4277
= free soft tissue graft procedure (including donor site surgery), first tooth or edentulous tooth position in graft

D4278 - free soft tissue graft procedure (including recipient and donor surgical sites) each additional contiguous tooth, implant or edentulous tooth position in same graft site

The codes listed above do not have direct crosscodes we are aware of, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can try the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:

As for the diagnosis code(s) to use - did your physician supply you with those?

Hope this helps, have a great day!
#7 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 10:55:44 AM(UTC)

I was wondering if anyone could help me to convert dental procedure codes into cpt icd 10 codes.
D0330, D0363, D7820, D7880. Thank you in advance.
#8 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 12:17:10 PM(UTC)

Hello,
My I please have the medical codes for D2950, D3310,D6740, D6245, D7210, D6740, D7140 and D2740
I am needing my medical insurance to pay for my dental issues do to radiation therapy I received.
Thank you
courtneydsnow
#9 Posted : Monday, July 3, 2017 7:15:46 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Hi Guest!

D0330 - panoramic radiographic image
Can be cross coded to:
70355 - Orthopantogram (eg, panoramic x-ray)

D0363 - Cone-Beam 3D multi image reconstruction

There is actually not currently a specific CPT code for CBCT……the closest CPT code is: 70486 - Computed tomography, maxillofacial area; without contrast material. Many offices have been using this for some time for CBCT, however, some medical insurers are auditing that code when used for CBCT because the description does not specify “cone beam”.

So, “76497 - Unlisted computed tomography procedure (eg, diagnostic, interventional)” is a good CPT code to use, or, many medical insurers will process the “D” codes for procedures when there is not a specific CPT code available.

For example, here are the “D” codes from HealthPartner’s medical policy for “Cone-beam computed tomography (CT) scan for medically-related dental services”

D0363 - Cone-Beam 3D multi image reconstruction
D0364 - Cone beam CT capture and interpretation with limited field of view - less than one whole jaw
D0365 - Cone beam CT capture and interpretation with field of view of one full dental arc - mandible
D0366 - Cone beam CT capture and interpretation with field of view of one full dental arch
- maxilla, with or without cranium
D0367 - Cone beam CT capture with interpretation with field of view of both jaws, with or without cranium
D0368 - Cone beam CT capture and interpretation for TMJ series including two or more exposures
D0380 - Cone beam CT image capture with limited field of view - less than one whole jaw
D0381 - Cone beam CT image capture with field of view of one full dental arch - mandible
D0382 - Cone beam CT image capture with field of view of one full dental arch - maxilla, with or without cranium
D0383 - Cone beam CT image capture with field of view of both jaws, with or without cranium
D0384 - Cone beam CT image capture for TMJ series including two or more exposures

Here is a link to the full policy:
https://www.healthpartners.com/public/coverage-criteria/cone-beam-scan.htm

D7820 - closed reduction of dislocation
can be crosscoded to:
21480 - Closed treatment of temporomandibular dislocation; initial or subsequent
21485 - Closed treatment of temporomandibular dislocation; complicated (e.g., recurrent
requiring intermaxillary fixation or splinting), initial or subsequent

D7880 - occlusal orthotic device, by report

There is not a specific crosscode for D7880. If you are using this code to represent an appliance being used to treat TMD:

What we are finding is that the code that is most commonly accepted by medical insurers currently for TMD appliances since the S8262 discontinuation June 2015 is D7880. However, some insurers are accepting the other codes listed below as well:

D7899 - unspecified TMD therapy, by report

Or, if the medical insurer says they won’t process the “D” codes (most will these days, but you will run into a few that won’t), you can try:

E1399 - Durable medical equipment, miscellaneous
21299 - Unlisted craniofacial and maxillofacial procedure
21499 - Unlisted musculoskeletal procedure, head

A narrative report explaining the treatment accompanying the claim is recommended since they are all "by report", “unlisted”, or "miscellaneous" codes.

For example, Aetna's medical policy for Temporomandibular disorders lists D7880 as an accepted HCPCS code is criteria is met: http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/1_99/0028.html

Hope this helps!
courtneydsnow
#10 Posted : Monday, July 3, 2017 7:19:28 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Hi guest!

D2950
- core buildup, including any pins when required
D3310 - endodontic therapy anterior tooth (excluding final restoration)
D6740 - retainer crown - porcelain/ceramic
D6245 - pontic - porcelain/ceramic
D7210 - surgical removal of erupted tooth requiring removal of bone and/or sectioning of tooth, and including elevation of mucoperiosteal flap if indicated
D7140 - extraction, erupted tooth or exposed root (elevation and/or forceps removal)
D2740 - crown - porcelain/ceramic substrate

The codes listed above do not have a direct crosscode we are aware of, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can try the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:

Hope this helps
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:20:30 PM(UTC)

Thank you
#12 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 4:59:38 PM(UTC)

Hello, I'm looking for a cross reference medical code for D5820 - interim partial denture?

Thank you!
courtneydsnow
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:01:01 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Hi Guest!

D5820 - interim partial denture (maxillary)

The code listed above does not have a direct crosscode we are aware of, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can try the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:

Hope this helps!
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 29, 2017 9:23:52 AM(UTC)

I need to file my dental charges that were due to an accident with my health insurance - the dentist office says they don't do that. The letter I received from my insurance company says I need a new claim form with the "valid ICD-10 diagnosis code and indicator including any applicable 4th and 5th digits." Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
courtneydsnow
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 29, 2017 10:03:42 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Hi Guest!

No problem we're happy to help.

First off - most medical insurers will have a modified claim form for patient use. You can call your medical insurer and request a patient claim form - many times the insurer will have it available on their website to print off. (basically, the CMS1500 - which is the standard medical form that health professionals use when billing medical insurance - is on version 02/12. If you used a CMS1500 to bill your medical insurer, you may have used version 08/05. If you look in the lower right hand corner of the claim form, the version number will be shown there. The 08/05 version is no longer accepted). But, you should not need to use the CMS1500 as a patient to file to your medical insurer, they should provide one to you that is far less complex.

As for the "valid ICD-10 diagnosis code and indicator" - that generally means that field 21 on the CMS1500 claim form was not completed properly (and/or possibly that the old version of the CMS1500 was used). The "ICD indicator", which is located in the upper right hand corner of field 21, should have the number "0", which stands for ICD-10. As for the diagnosis code(s) themselves - i'll need a few more details to assist you in locating the most appropriate code(s). A few questions for you:

1) what type of accident was is? (trip & fall? vehicle accident? fight? etc). As many details about the accident/trauma you can provide will be helpful.
2) what was the injury? (broken tooth? tooth knocked out? etc)
3) what services did the dental office provide? (extraction of tooth? crown? etc?). If the dental practice provided you the "D" codes, those would be helpful.

#16 Posted : Friday, January 26, 2018 11:26:05 AM(UTC)

Message was deleted by a User. | Reason: Not specified
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 2:03:52 PM(UTC)

Hello is there a medical code for D2750
courtneydsnow
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 2:20:24 PM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Hi Guest!

D2750 - crown - porcelain fused to high noble metal

The code listed above does not have a direct crosscode we are aware of, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:

Hope this helps!
#19 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 11:11:23 AM(UTC)

Hi courtneydsnow is there anyway you can help me? My sons claim keeps getting denied and we live in a small town our dental office doesn’t know how to convert dental codes to medical codes. Can you please help us as we are having to pay everything out of pocket right now and it’s killing us financially.

My son slipped and fell at school during athletics. He knocked out a permanent front too tooth. The dental codes we are trying to convert at this time are D0140, D0220 and D7270.
Any help is appreciated!
courtneydsnow
#20 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 1:00:48 PM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Hi Guest!

No problem :)

D0140 - limited oral evaluation - problem focused
Can be crosscoded to:
99201 - Office or other outpatient visit for the evaluation and management of a new patient, which requires these 3 key components: A problem focused history; A problem focused examination; Straightforward medical decision making. Counseling and/or coordination of care with other physicians, other qualified health care professionals, or agencies are provided consistent with the nature of the problem(s) and the patient's and/or family's needs. Usually, the presenting problem(s) are self limited or minor. Typically, 10 minutes are spent face-to-face with the patient and/or family.
or
99211 - Office or other outpatient visit for the evaluation and management of an established patient, that may not require the presence of a physician or other qualified health care professional. Usually, the presenting problem(s) are minimal. Typically, 5 minutes are spent performing or supervising these services.

D0220
- intraoral - periapical first radiographic image
can be cross coded to:
70300 - Radiologic examination, teeth; single view

D7270
- Tooth reimplantation and/or stabilization of accidentally evulsed or displaced tooth

In Aetna's crosswalk for "Oral Surgery Medical In Nature", the crosscode for D7270 is listed as:

21440 - Closed treatment of mandibular or maxillary alveolar ridge fracture (separate procedure)

or you can use the CPT codes below and include a narrative report describing the procedure(s):

Let me know if you need help with the diagnosis coding options as well.

Hope this helps!

Edited by user Wednesday, February 19, 2020 9:04:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply