DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 12:42:29 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hi, Could you provide me with a medical CPT code for a CT Scan for dental implants (D0383). I also need a diagnosis code because the diagnosis code the dental office provided me was "implant 13" and that does not sound like a diagnosis code that would be accepted by my medical insurance.
courtneydsnow
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 2, 2017 8:05:51 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Guest!

D0383 - Cone beam CT image capture with field of view of both jaws, with or without cranium

There is actually not currently a specific CPT code for CBCT……the closest CPT code is: 70486 - Computed tomography, maxillofacial area; without contrast material. Many offices have been using this for some time for CBCT, however, some medical insurers are auditing that code when used for CBCT because the description does not specify “cone beam”.

So, “76497 - Unlisted computed tomography procedure (eg, diagnostic, interventional)” is a good CPT code to use, or, many medical insurers will process the “D” codes for procedures when there is not a specific CPT code available.

For example, here are the “D” codes from HealthPartner’s medical policy for “Cone-beam computed tomography (CT) scan for medically-related dental services”

D0363 - Cone-Beam 3D multi image reconstruction
D0364 - Cone beam CT capture and interpretation with limited field of view - less than one whole jaw
D0365 - Cone beam CT capture and interpretation with field of view of one full dental arc - mandible
D0366 - Cone beam CT capture and interpretation with field of view of one full dental arch
- maxilla, with or without cranium
D0367 - Cone beam CT capture with interpretation with field of view of both jaws, with or without cranium
D0368 - Cone beam CT capture and interpretation for TMJ series including two or more exposures
D0380 - Cone beam CT image capture with limited field of view - less than one whole jaw
D0381 - Cone beam CT image capture with field of view of one full dental arch - mandible
D0382 - Cone beam CT image capture with field of view of one full dental arch - maxilla, with or without cranium
D0383 - Cone beam CT image capture with field of view of both jaws, with or without cranium
D0384 - Cone beam CT image capture for TMJ series including two or more exposures

Here is a link to the full policy:
https://www.healthpartners.com/public/coverage-criteria/cone-beam-scan.htm

As for the diagnosis code - you are correct "implant 13" is not going to do the trick!
I can offer you some coding options but I encourage you to verify the choices with your dentist. In order to select the appropriate code(s) - I will need a little bit more information:

What is the reason the implant is being considered? (i.e. lost teeth due to trauma, lost teeth due to periodontal disease, pain, lesions, atrophy, etc)
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 3, 2017 12:29:09 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Thank you so much for your response. According to the dentist office, the implants are due to lost teeth due to periodontal disease and atrophy. I hope that helps. The dental office is not very helpful.
courtneydsnow
#4 Posted : Friday, August 4, 2017 8:21:42 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Guest!

Ok great - here are some diagnosis coding options for you:

For the loss of teeth due to periodontal disease:
K08.421 - Partial loss of teeth due to periodontal diseases, class I
K08.422 - Partial loss of teeth due to periodontal diseases, class II
K08.423 - Partial loss of teeth due to periodontal diseases, class III
K08.424 - Partial loss of teeth due to periodontal diseases, class IV
K08.429 - Partial loss of teeth due to periodontal diseases, unspecified class

For the atrophy:
K08.21 - Minimal atrophy of the mandible