DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   More BBCode Tags Check Spelling
Font Color: Font Size:
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Guest Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2023 9:27:04 AM(UTC)

Hello, I’m needing the medical code for D7880. Thank you!
courtneydsnow Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 9:24:45 AM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

I have listed the codes below in this message that are listed in Aetna’s medical policy for botox (the most common ones used for dental practices are J0585 and 64615) and a link to the Aetna medical policy on Botox:
http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/100_199/0113.html

Botox Type A:

HCPCS codes:
• J0585 - Botulinum toxin type A, per unit [Botox]
• J0586 - Injection, Abobotulinumtoxina, 5 units [Dysport]
• J0588 - Injection, incobotulinumtoxinA, 1 unit [Xeomin]

CPT Codes:
• 64611 - Chemodenervation of parotid and submandibular salivary glands, bilateral
• 64612 - Chemodenervation of muscles(s); muscles(s) innervated by facial nerve, unilateral (eg, for blepharospasm, hemifacial spasm)
• 64615 - Chemodenervation of muscles(s); muscle(s) innervated by facial, trigeminal, cervical spinal and accessory nerves, bilateral (eg, for chronic migraine)
• 64616 - Chemodenervation of muscle(s); neck muscle(s), excluding muscles of the larynx, unilateral (eg, for cervical dystonia, spasmodic torticollis)
• 64617 - larynx, unilateral, percutaneous (eg, for spasmodic dysphonia), includes guidance by needle electromyography, when performed
• 64653 - Chemodenervation other area(s) (e.g., scalp, face, neck), per day
• 95873 - Electrical stimulation for guidance in conjunction with chemodenervation (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)
• 95874 - Needle electromyography for guidance in conjunction with chemodenervation (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)

Botox Type B:

HCPCS Code:
• J0587 - Botulinum toxin type B, per 100 units

CPT Codes:
• 64616 - Chemodenervation of muscle(s); neck muscle(s), excluding muscles of the larynx, unilateral (eg, for cervical dystonia, spasmodic torticollis)
• 95873 - Electrical stimulation for guidance in conjunction with chemodenervation (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)
• 95874 - Needle electromyography for guidance in conjunction with chemodenervation (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)

Hope this helps!
Guest Posted: Monday, November 22, 2021 4:58:34 PM(UTC)

I need a medical code for botox for pain management
courtneydsnow Posted: Wednesday, September 8, 2021 9:28:41 AM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

Absolutely!

D6010 - surgical placement of implant body: endosteal implant
can be cross coded to:
21248 - Reconstruction of mandible or maxilla, endosteal implant (eg, blade, cylinder); partial(3 or less)

D6104 - bone graft at time of implant placement
can be crosscoded to:
21210 - graft, bone; nasal, maxillary, or malar areas
21215 - graft, mandibular
**use modifier -52 for reduced services when bone is not obtained from patient

D7921
– collection and application of autologous blood concentrate product
can be crosscoded to:
0232T - Injection(s), platelet rich plasma, any site, including image guidance, harvesting and preparation when performed

D2999 - unspecified restorative procedure, by report
D6057 - custom fabricated abutment – includes placement
D7210 - Extraction, erupted tooth requiring removal of bone and/or sectioning of tooth, and including elevation of mucoperiosteal flap if indicated
D7950 - osseous, osteoperiosteal, or cartilage graft of the mandible or maxilla - autogenous or nonautogenous, by report

The codes listed above do not have a direct crosscode we are aware of, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:
41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures
**special note - since D2999 stands for an "unspecified" restorative procedure, you will likely need to ask your provider for a short description of what service/procedure this code is being used to represent

As far as the diagnosis code(s) - based on what you described, here are some coding options (you may need to consult with your provider to select the most appropriate loss of teeth and fracture codes):

For the trauma to your teeth:
One of these:
K08.411 - Partial loss of teeth due to trauma, class I
K08.412 - Partial loss of teeth due to trauma, class II
K08.413 - Partial loss of teeth due to trauma, class III
K08.414 - Partial loss of teeth due to trauma, class IV
K08.419 - Partial loss of teeth due to trauma, unspecified class

One or both of these:
S02.5XXA - Fracture of tooth (traumatic), initial encounter for closed fracture
S02.5XXB - Fracture of tooth (traumatic), initial encounter for open fracture

And this one if applicable:
G89.11 - Acute pain due to trauma

To describe the accident, both of these:
W01.198A - Fall on same level from slipping, tripping and stumbling with subsequent striking against other object, initial encounter
W17.4XXA - Fall from dock, initial encounter

Hope this helps!
Guest Posted: Tuesday, September 7, 2021 10:45:19 AM(UTC)

Thank you so much for your response! I feel bad but I have actually compiled my whole list of codes together to see if I could get help with a few more.

D 2999
D 6010
D 6057
D 6058
D 6104
D 7210
D 7921
D 7950

I slipped off a dock and hit a boat under my jaw before falling into the water unconscious. 2 of my teeth came out during the accident and 3 others were so damaged they needed to be removed (so 5 total gone from the accident). Please let me know if there are any other specifics you would need. I really appreciate your help.
courtneydsnow Posted: Thursday, September 2, 2021 1:07:04 PM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

D6057 - custom fabricated abutment – includes placement
D6059 - abutment supported porcelain fused to metal crown (high noble metal)

For both of these services listed above, there is actually not direct crosscodes we are aware of, so if the medical insurers cannot accept the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:
41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures

Since it is a trauma case, you will want to be sure the ICD-10 (diagnosis) codes reflect that! If you can provide me some details about the accident (how it happened and what damage it caused), i am happy to offer you some coding options.

Hope this helps!
Guest Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2021 8:04:59 AM(UTC)

Hi!

I desperately need help transferring a few dental codes to medical codes. Neither the dentist, periodontist, or insurance is willing to help me and I've had unbelievable dental costs due to an accident which left me in a coma and did significant dental damage. The codes I currently need are:

D6057
D6059

Thank you!
Guest Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2021 9:53:53 AM(UTC)

Thanks. I used:
D0473 - accession of tissue, gross and microscopic examination, preparation and transmission of written report

I hope I don't have to file again. If I do, I would probably go with D0502, but hopefully this will do.

I really appreciate your help. Patient's shouldn't be made to file their own claims w/procedure codes--this should be the responsibility of the treating doctor/dentist/etc.

-AC
courtneydsnow Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 8:56:32 AM(UTC)

Hi AC!

Ah ok - dental coding is not our forte here like medical coding is, but hopefully this information is helpful:

88342 is a medical CPT code, which stands for:
Immunohistochemistry or immunocytochemistry, per specimen; initial single antibody stain procedure

And here are some coding options from the oral pathology section of dental codes that may be applicable:

D0472 - accession of tissue, gross examination, preparation and transmission of written report
D0473 - accession of tissue, gross and microscopic examination, preparation and transmission of written report
D0474 - accession of tissue, gross and microscopic examination, including assessment of surgical margins for presence of disease, preparation and transmission of written report
D0476 - special stains for microorganisms
D0477 - special stains, not for microorganisms
D0478 - immunohistochemical stains
D0482 - direct immunofluorescence
D0483 - indirect immunofluorescence
D0502 - other oral pathology procedures, by report

Hope this helps!
Guest Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 1:16:14 PM(UTC)

Hi. I'm trying to submit this to my Dental Insurance, so I'm looking for the CDT code (not the medical codes), since they pay it at 100%. All I have is a diagnostic Code from the lab:
D10.39

I'm looking for the code for doing the pathology on the biopsy. Since these are 2 separate claims. The biopsy was conducted (and filed) by the oral surgeon, but the pathology is from an independent lab. The OS submitted their claim, but I have to submit the Lab claim myself.

I saw there were some pathology lab codes on my dental insurance's website.

perhaps it is D0473 Accession of tissue, gross and microscopic examination, preparation and transmission of written report

The lab billing department told me their procedure code was: 88342
I'm not sure if that is internal to their lab or an actual billing code.

-AC