DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 6:38:48 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hello,
I could use help with cross coding the following codes to help get some accidental dental claims processed by the medical insurance.
D7270
D9940
D0140
D0220
D0230
D3310
D2330
D0460
D9230
D2740
D6056
D6066

I have seen a few of these already listed. I am just wanting to check if they have changed at all?

I would really appreciate any assistance.

Thank you, Miriah
courtneydsnow
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 7, 2018 10:39:58 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Miriah!

D0140
- limited oral evaluation - problem focused
Can be crosscoded to:
99201 - Office or other outpatient visit for the evaluation and management of a new patient, which requires these 3 key components: A problem focused history; A problem focused examination; Straightforward medical decision making. Counseling and/or coordination of care with other physicians, other qualified health care professionals, or agencies are provided consistent with the nature of the problem(s) and the patient's and/or family's needs. Usually, the presenting problem(s) are self limited or minor. Typically, 10 minutes are spent face-to-face with the patient and/or family.
or
99211 - Office or other outpatient visit for the evaluation and management of an established patient, that may not require the presence of a physician or other qualified health care professional. Usually, the presenting problem(s) are minimal. Typically, 5 minutes are spent performing or supervising these services.

D0220 - intraoral - periapical first radiographic image
can be cross coded to:
70300 - Radiologic examination, teeth; single view

D0230 - intraoral - periapical each additional radiographic image
Can be cross coded to:
70310 - Radiologic examination, teeth; partial examination, less than full mouth

D9230
- inhalation of nitrous oxide / anxiolysis, analgesia
can be crosscoded to:
00170 - Anesthesia for intraoral procedures, including biopsy; not otherwise specified

D7270 - tooth reimplantation and/or stabilization of accidentally evulsed or displaced tooth
D9940 - Occlusal guard, by report
D3310 - endodontic therapy anterior tooth (excluding final restoration)
D2330 - resin-based composite - one surface, anterior
D0460 - pulp vitality tests
D2740 - crown - porcelain/ceramic substrate
D6056 - prefabricated abutment - includes modification and placement
D6066 - implant supported porcelain fused to metal crown (titanium, titanium alloy, high noble metal)

The codes listed above do not have direct crosscodes we are aware of, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can try one of the CPT codes below and include a narrative report describing the procedure(s):
41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures
40899 - Unlisted procedure, vestibule of mouth
41599 - Unlisted procedure, tongue, floor of mouth

Hope this helps!
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 1:15:25 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Is it true that code 00170 can only be used if service is being performed in a hospital outpatient setting? I'm looking for a medical cross code for D9230 when nitrous is administered in a clinic setting.
courtneydsnow
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2020 4:27:09 PM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Guest!

Great question. I have not seen a requirement of 00170 for hospital outpatient only before, however, 00170 is not an appropriate CPT code to represent nitrous inhalation.

00170 stands for: Anesthesia for intraoral procedures, including biopsy; not otherwise specified

Since nitrous inhalation doesn't meet the definition of anesthesia or moderate sedation, these CPT codes don't have an accurate description of the service actually being provided.

Hope this helps!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply