DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.



New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2022 1:48:07 PM(UTC)

Rank: Guest

Joined: 9/8/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2,336

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)

I'm trying to determine if it would be appropriate to bill D7951 and D7950 together, as per the CDT book these both appear to increase the alveolar height of either the mandible or maxilla. The doctor I'm reviewing has selected both codes to bill but I'm thinking only one should be used. There is not a lot of guidance for appropriate billing of dental services like there is for medical, which is what I'm used to. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
#2 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2022 1:19:36 PM(UTC)

Rank: Administration

Joined: 11/21/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,732

Thanks: 39 times
Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Guest!

D7950 - osseous, osteoperiosteal, or cartilage graft of the mandible or maxilla - autogenous or nonautogenous, by report
D7951 - sinus augmentation with bone or bone substitutes via a lateral open approach

Dental coding is not our forte here like medical coding is, however i may have found some helpful information on this subject:

"If a bone graft is performed on a separate day from the extraction to increase height, width, or volume of the alveolar ridge, then D7950 should be reported. Keep in mind that D7950 includes harvesting autogenous bone or using freeze‐dried bone material"

"If bone is placed during a sinus lift procedure to increase alveolar height for implant placement, D7951 (horizontal approach) or D7952 (vertical approach/sinus tap) should be reported."

Hope this helps!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply
Forum Jump  
You can post new topics in this forum.
You can reply to topics in this forum.
You can delete your posts in this forum.
You can edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You can vote in polls in this forum.