DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
tcfd1vldg
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2018 2:28:42 PM(UTC)
tcfd1vldg

I have a patient who has an existing fixed bridge from 6-8, tooth #6 had fractured and is abscessed. I submitted a pre-certification to Aetna to see if I could get her any coverage at all. It was my understanding that if a tooth was removed due to infection, then it could be covered under the medical policy. I spoke with a rep today who told me today that the extraction was going to be denied because it was a medical benefit and that implants/grafting are not covered benefits under the medical policy. I seem to be running into this with every claim I submit. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. How can I best go about getting my patients coverage that have an underlying medical reason behind it??

courtneydsnow
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 9:01:21 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi tcfd1vldg!

Great question. Yes, as you mentioned, we do see many medical insurers offering coverage for services that are generally considered dental in nature, however becomes a medical benefit when a condition such as infection or abscess is present, or if trauma/accidentally injury to natural teeth was involved.

I always find it helpful the review the insurer's medical policy regarding the type of procedure I am going to bill to familiarize with their coverage criteria. For example, here is a link to Aetna's medical policy titled "Dental Services and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: Coverage Under Medical Plans"
http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/1_99/0082.html

Aetna's policy is actually quite detailed in the criteria for different types of dental services that are considered medical in nature, so this is a good policy to be familiar with!

Hope this helps!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply