DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 9, 2018 5:33:06 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I'm hoping you can help. I'm sending a claim for dental services that were required as a result of a car accident. The car insurance requires medical coding, both CPT & diagnostic coding. We are performing a crown due to the trauma from the impact of the car accident. I have found the diagnostic code of S00-S09 but I'm not sure that would be correct? Also, what would be the correct CPT code to use?
Thank you
courtneydsnow
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 8:51:11 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Guest!

No problem we're happy to help.

So, starting off the with diagnostic codes. You'll want to code both the trauma to the teeth/oral cavity as well as the accident itself.

For example, depending on the nature of the trauma, below are some ICD-10 coding options:
K03.81 - Cracked tooth
S02.5XXA - Fracture of tooth (traumatic), initial encounter for closed fracture
S02.5XXB - Fracture of tooth (traumatic), initial encounter for open fracture
K08.411 - Partial loss of teeth due to trauma, class I
K08.412 - Partial loss of teeth due to trauma, class II
K08.413 - Partial loss of teeth due to trauma, class III
K08.414 - Partial loss of teeth due to trauma, class IV
K08.419 - Partial loss of teeth due to trauma, unspecified class

(if none of the codes above accurately describe the trauma, let me know some more details and I can offer you some coding options)

Now, as for the code to describe the accident itself, they get very very specific! Below are a few examples, but if you could give me a few more details about if the patient was the driver or passenger (or someone outside the car), what type of vehicle he/she was in (car? truck? suv? 18 wheeler?), what the vehicle hit (another vehicle? stationary object? farm animal?), and was it a traffic accident or non-traffic accident?

V43.03XA - Car driver injured in collision with pick-up truck in nontraffic accident, initial encounter
V43.04XA - Car driver injured in collision with van in nontraffic accident, initial encounter
V43.11XA - Car passenger injured in collision with sport utility vehicle in nontraffic accident, initial encounter
V43.41XA - Person boarding or alighting a car injured in collision with sport utility vehicle, initial encounter

Now, as for the CPT code for the crown:
There is not a direct crosscode for that procedure we are aware of, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can try the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:
41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures

Hope this helps!
#3 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2024 1:10:12 AM(UTC)

this is interesting
#4 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2024 1:12:03 AM(UTC)

Not long ago, I discovered a fantastic article that delved into the topic of dealing with canceled flights. It was incredibly helpful to me when I experienced a flight cancellation myself. The article what to do when flight is cancelled outlined step-by-step procedures and offered useful advice, ensuring that I knew exactly what to do to minimize the inconvenience and swiftly resolve the issue.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply