DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   More BBCode Tags Check Spelling
Font Color: Font Size:
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Guest Posted: Friday, February 16, 2024 11:58:32 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: courtneydsnow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Guest!

As for the CPT crosscodes for the procedures you listed:

D6104
- bone graft at time of implant placement
can be crosscoded to:
21210 - graft, bone; nasal, maxillary, or malar areas
21215 - graft, mandibular
**use modifier -52 for reduced services when bone is not obtained from patient

D6010 - surgical placement of implant body: endosteal implant
can be cross coded to:
21248 - Reconstruction of mandible or maxilla, endosteal implant (eg, blade, cylinder); partial (3 or less)
(basically, if it was 3 or less implants, you'll use 21248 instead of 21249)

D0367 - Cone beam CT capture with interpretation with field of view of both jaws, with or without cranium

There is actually not currently a specific CPT code for CBCT……the closest CPT code is: “70486 - Computed tomography, maxillofacial area; without contrast material”. Many offices have been using this for some time for CBCT, and some insurers require this code to be used for CBCT (i.e. UHC). However, some medical insurers are auditing that code when used for CBCT because the description does not specify “cone beam”.

So, “76497 - Unlisted computed tomography procedure (eg, diagnostic, interventional)” is an option to use (keep in mind you'll need to provide a narrative description for unlisted codes).

D0160 - detailed and extensive oral evaluation - problem focused, by report
can be crosscoded to one of the following Evaluation & Management (E&M) codes:
New patients:
99202 – 15-29 mins
99203 – 30-44 mins
99204 – 45-59 mins
99205 – 60-74 mins

Established patients:
99212 – 10-19 mins
99213 – 20-29 mins
99214 – 30-39 mins
99215 – 40-54 mins

D7210 - Extraction, erupted tooth requiring removal of bone and/or sectioning of tooth, and including elevation of mucoperiosteal flap if indicated
D6085 - provisional implant crown
D6051 - interim abutment

As for extractions, crowns & abutments, they do not have a direct crosscode, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:
41899 - Unlisted procedure, dentoalveolar structures

As for the ICD-10 diagnosis code(s), based on what you described, here are some coding options for you to consider:
K03.81 - Cracked tooth
Y65.8 - Other specified misadventures during surgical and medical care

Susan Posted: Thursday, November 9, 2023 1:28:58 PM(UTC)

Hello,
I have an accident where i required dental implants. I had the procedure done at my dental office, however, they could not bill my medical insurance because they did not have the correct codes & i had to pay almost 25k up front to get the surgery done.
These were the codes i was provided, anything with a *, i believe this could be billed to my medical.
How can i convert these codes to medical?

*D6010
*D7210
*D7953
D4266
D6057
D2740
D2950
D9944

Thanks in advance!
courtneydsnow Posted: Friday, June 16, 2023 11:49:37 AM(UTC)

Hi Rachel!

Depending on the patient's condition/situation, it is very likely that you'll use the same diagnostic codes for the D7957 as you did for the D7953 (basically, the diagnosis(es) that led to the bone graft being needed can be the same reason that the guided tissue regeneration needed to be done as well).

And just a heads up, some medical insurers will require the use of CPT codes (medical procedure codes) instead of the CDT code (dental procedure codes). If that's the case:

D7953 - bone replacement graft for ridge preservation - per site
Can be cross coded to:
21210 - Graft, bone; nasal, maxillary or malar areas (includes obtaining graft)
21215 - Graft, bone; mandible (includes obtaining graft)

D7957 - guided tissue regeneration, edentulous area – non-resorbable barrier, per site

This code does not have a direct crosscode we are aware of, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), but for the medical insurers who won't accept the "D" codes, you can try the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:

Hope this helps!
Rachel Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2023 10:02:07 AM(UTC)

Good morning, I have a patient that had a D7953 along with D7957 the day of the extraction to preserve to bone level for implant placement after healing. My question is that her insurance is denying due to stating it's medical and needs to be submitted that way. I had the medical insurance agent call and asked if we can convert the codes to CPT? I'm thinking we give her the CDT codes we used, along with the diagnosis codes to go along with them to submit? Looking at the past responses, we know what diagnosis code would be for D7953, but what options do I have for D7957?
Thank you,
rachel
courtneydsnow Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2022 10:40:47 AM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

As for the CPT crosscodes for the procedures you listed:

D6104
- bone graft at time of implant placement
can be crosscoded to:
21210 - graft, bone; nasal, maxillary, or malar areas
21215 - graft, mandibular

D6010 - surgical placement of implant body: endosteal implant
can be cross coded to:
21248 - Reconstruction of mandible or maxilla, endosteal implant (eg, blade, cylinder); partial (3 or less)
(basically, if it was 3 or less implants, you'll use 21248 instead of 21249)

D0367 - Cone beam CT capture with interpretation with field of view of both jaws, with or without cranium

There is actually not currently a specific CPT code for CBCT……the closest CPT code is: “70486 - Computed tomography, maxillofacial area; without contrast material”. Many offices have been using this for some time for CBCT, and some insurers require this code to be used for CBCT (i.e. UHC). However, some medical insurers are auditing that code when used for CBCT because the description does not specify “cone beam”.

So, “76497 - Unlisted computed tomography procedure (eg, diagnostic, interventional)” is an option to use (keep in mind you'll need to provide a narrative description for unlisted codes).

D0160 - detailed and extensive oral evaluation - problem focused, by report
can be crosscoded to one of the following Evaluation & Management (E&M) codes:
New patients:
99202 – 15-29 mins
99203 – 30-44 mins
99204 – 45-59 mins
99205 – 60-74 mins

Established patients:
99212 – 10-19 mins
99213 – 20-29 mins
99214 – 30-39 mins
99215 – 40-54 mins

D7210 - Extraction, erupted tooth requiring removal of bone and/or sectioning of tooth, and including elevation of mucoperiosteal flap if indicated
D6085 - provisional implant crown
D6051 - interim abutment

As for extractions, crowns & abutments, they do not have a direct crosscode, so you can either bill the "D" code on the medical claim (many insurers these days will process "D" codes when they are medically necessary services), or you can use the CPT code below and include a narrative report describing the procedure:

As for the ICD-10 diagnosis code(s), based on what you described, here are some coding options for you to consider:
K03.81 - Cracked tooth
Y65.8 - Other specified misadventures during surgical and medical care
Guest Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2022 7:53:44 AM(UTC)

Hello!

Patient had (2) implants on #7 & 10.
Procedure codes:
D6104
D6010
D7210
D6085
D6051
D0367
D0160

Attempting to submit to medical, need ICD10.

Backstory: Patient had ho pain/issue, xray detected fracture at root #7. Patient sent to Perio, new xray detected additional fracture also at root #10. No accident/injury, patient believes biting on xray plate may have cause damage?

Any advice?
courtneydsnow Posted: Monday, March 7, 2022 9:21:49 AM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

21215 - Graft, bone; mandible (includes obtaining graft)

And just a quick note on the ICD code you listed, K08.21 (Minimal atrophy of the mandible)

The second character should be a number "0" instead of the letter "O".

Hope this helps!
Michael Eikenbary Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2022 1:01:37 PM(UTC)

BCBS wants my ICD-10 Code along with the procedure code
The ICD-10 code is KO8.21
I was given a procedure code of 21215.
Can you define that procedure fo me?
courtneydsnow Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 11:57:00 AM(UTC)

Hi Tiffany!

Ok great thanks for those details! Based on what you described, it looks like you best option to describe the fall is:

W18.39XA - Other fall on same level, initial encounter

Hope this helps!
Tiffany Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 7:47:47 AM(UTC)

Thank you so much Courtney!

The patient was actually stung by a wasp which caused anaphylactic shock and caused him to fall in his driveway on concrete and hit face first. He broke his nose and fractured his front teeth, breaking one off in the process.