DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

Post a reply
Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   More BBCode Tags Check Spelling
Font Color: Font Size:
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
courtneydsnow Posted: Thursday, September 2, 2021 1:04:06 PM(UTC)

Hi guest!

Yes, D8090 stands for: Comprehensive orthodontic treatment of the adult dentition

D8090 is a dental code, and can certainly be billed to dental insurance to represent orthodontic treatment.
Guest Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2021 5:22:15 PM(UTC)

I heard D8090 works for dental appliances through your dental insurance
courtneydsnow Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 8:42:33 AM(UTC)

Hi Guest!

Great question. I do not typically see palatal expanders alone coded as E0486 (although I do believe there are a few appliances out there that are FDA cleared for snoring & sleep apnea that do include a palatal expander component along with a mandibular advancement component). Many practices we work with submit this service using one of the following:
42299 - Unlisted procedure, palate, uvula
21299 - Unlisted craniofacial and maxillofacial procedure

We have also seen some practices use CPT 21142, which stands for: Reconstruction midface, Le Fort I, segment movement in any direction, without bone graft
- however, adding the modifier -52 which stands for: reduced services, to signify the lack of down-fracturing.

Hope this helps!
Guest Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:51:23 PM(UTC)

Would this also be the code to use for a Rapid Palatal Expander if it was for sleep apnea purposes?
courtneydsnow Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2016 10:05:08 AM(UTC)

Hi guest!

Custom made oral appliance for Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) are not billed to dental insurance, only to medical. As long as the patient has been diagnosed with OSA through a sleep study, the ICD-10 diagnosis code to use is: G47.33 - Obstructive Sleep Apnea (adult)(pediatric)

The HCPCS (procedure) code to use for the custom made appliance is E0486 - Oral device/appliance used to reduce upper airway collapsibility, adjustable or non-adjustable, custom fabricated, includes fitting and adjustment

Hope this helps!
Guest Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2016 8:29:42 AM(UTC)

Hi there,

My pt. wants to do sleep apnea appliance. Could you please tell me what dental procedure code that we could send out for P-D? D8220 is possible? And what medical diagnosis code that we could claim to medical insurance?

Thank you!

Vivian