DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.



Post a reply

Maximum number of characters in each post is: 32767
Bold Italic Underline   Highlight Quote Choose Language for Syntax Highlighting Insert Image Create Link   Unordered List Ordered List   Left Justify Center Justify Right Justify   More BBCode Tags Check Spelling
Font Color: Font Size:
Security Image:
Enter The Letters From The Security Image:
  Preview Post Cancel

Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
What is Black seed scrub ? Posted: Monday, September 19, 2022 9:31:20 PM(UTC)
Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: Not specified
Guest Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2021 11:33:24 PM(UTC)
Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: Not specified
courtneydsnow Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 9:09:50 AM(UTC)
Hi Aurora!

Great question! It should not matter that auth & gap were obtained from different places, many insurers outsource those services these days! Here's what I would do as far as putting them both on the claim:

Go ahead and put the authorization approval number in field 23.
For the gap exception, enter that approval number into field 19, and indicate it is for the E0486

You certainly could put them on separate claims as well, but doing it as described above should do the trick :) And good thinking on the modifier 51 & 59, however as you mentioned, i don't think it's appropriate for this scenario, so just be sure to use your usual modifier on the E0486! (modifier NU).

Hope this helps!
drweddle Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 1:46:21 PM(UTC)

I work in the billing department and oddly enough until now I've never had this issue. How do I bill two separate codes each with their own authorization number? Do I put both on the auth line? Patient came in and picked up their OA (E0486) but also had a CBCT (70486). I have a gap exception auth for E0486 and I have a separate pre-auth (not gap) number for 70486. I don't think it matters but both auths were obtained from different places/companies. Also does this get a modifier 51 or 59 or does that not qualify since one is for DME? Using DW to bill. Thank you for your help!